I love making this loaded tofu scramble. It’s a delicious dish to make for breakfast or brunch.
There’s a lot of people out there who’ll say you need to use a specific type of tofu to make a scramble. I’m here to tell you: it doesn’t really matter all that much. I like using firm or even extra firm tofu, but that’s just my personal preference. Plus, the Asian grocer right around the corner sells it for a fantastic price. But, you can use medium soft tofu just as well. The only type of tofu I’d avoid for a scramble is silken tofu.
If you like a ‘runnier’ scramble, you could use a soft tofu. Or add a splash of plant based milk. In this loaded tofu scramble I find the vegetables give off enough liquid.
Really you can use any spices you like for this scramble. I love a tofu scramble that’s been seasoned well. Specifically, I love adding paprika, thyme, dried onion, garlic powder, some chilli flakes. Also completely optional for this dish: za’atar. I still have a jar of the stuff that a friend gave to me. Gosh so delicious.
Two spices that I’d say are a must: the black salt (kala namak) and turmeric. The turmeric provides a lovely colour and the black salt the eggy flavour. I believe that’s due to the sulfuric qualities of the salt.
I enjoy this scramble on a piece of sourdough toast. With a spoonful of homemade aioli. Of course, you can just buy a jar of vegan mayo. This is also fabulous in a breakfast burrito. And it’s a great make ahead dish, pop it in a container and that’s an easy, protein-filled breakfast or lunch on the go!
Be sure to check out this quick recipe how-to on Instagram.
As always, save this recipe for later. Pin it on Pinterest. Share it with friends and family. And do tag me in your pictures when making my recipes!
Loaded Tofu Scramble
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 white onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- pinch of salt
- 1 red pepper
- 125 grams mushrooms
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 250 grams tofu
- cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp dried onion
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp za'atar (optional!)
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp kala namak/black salt
- ½ lemon
- 250 grams spinach
To serve with
- 4 slices bread (sourdough is my go-to)
- 2 tbsp aioli or vegan mayo
- put a pan on a medium high heat. add the olive oil. chop up the onion and garlic.
- add to the pan with a pinch of salt.
- chop up the pepper, mushrooms, tomatoes. add the pepper and mushrooms to the pan. cook out liquid of the mushrooms and then add the tomatoes.
- crumble up the tofu. add to the pan.
- add all the spices and lemon juice. stir well.
- add in the spinach, cook down a bit.
- get your toast ready with some vegan mayo or aioli and top with the scramble.dig in!