One pan BBQ-sage jackfruit is easy to make and, more importantly, delicious! Read on to see the instructions and grab the recipe.
For these types of savoury recipes, make sure you buy young jackfruit in water. I have made the mistake before of buying in syrup and that will not work. Here’s a reference of what you’re looking for: young green jackfruit tin. They now sell jackfruit at loads of supermarkets, otherwise have a look in the Asian shop. I buy mine there for €1.45 a tin.
A few small steps need to be taken before we can prepare the jackfruit. First, let’s drain and rinse. Then, cutting out the harder ends of the bits of jackfruit that have a triangle shape. You’ll know what I mean when you get your hands on it. The jackfruit is cut in triangle shapes. The part of those triangles that’s easy to pull apart, and softer to the touch, those we’ll cook and eat. The ends, the smaller triangles, we’ll cut those off. You can still eat those or cook them along, just make sure you chop them finely. Or blitz in the food processor.
Second, with your hands or a fork or potato masher, get the bits of jackfruit loosened and press out some of the water. I like to do this in a colander.
Now, it’s ready to get onto the baking tray. Let’s chop up an onion and some garlic as well.
Getting that BBQ Flavour
Of course, you could just get barbecue sauce and use that. By all means, please do so! But if you know me, you know I like to make things from scratch. And no worries, we won’t be making sauce. We’ll make a marinade that will evoke that BBQ flavour.
Paprika, liquid smoke, granulated garlic, olive oil, some sugar, and fresh sage. That’s how we’ll get that delicious, smokey sweet sticky taste. Then, all that’s left is leaving it to roast in the oven. Easy right?
I recommend serving the one pan BBQ-sage jackfruit on a bun with some slaw and a pickle for the ultimate experience. Also delicious with my aioli. But do let me know how you enjoy it!
As always, don’t forget to tag me in your pictures. Save to your laptop or on Pinterest, and leave me your comments!
One Pan BBQ-Sage Jackfruit
- 2 tins young green jackfruit in water 2 x 565 grams
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloved of garlic, diced
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp liquid smoke
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp granulated garlic or garlic powder is also fine
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 small handful of sage, chopped finely
- cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 200 °C (392 °F). Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Start with draining and rinsing the jackfruit. Then, get the harder bits off like described above. Squeeze the jackfruit to get some water out and pull it apart so there's smaller bits.
- Mix all the ingredients for the BBQ-Sage glaze and add to the jackfruit. Distribute well, covering all the onion, garlic, and jackfruit.
- Cover with foil and pop into the oven at 200°C. After 30 minutes, remove foil and bake for another 30 minutes.
- Bake until completely golden brown with crispy bits around the sides. Yum!